21 November 2010

Copying from DVD to IPod?

I wanted to back up all my (sad I'm sure) Doctor Who DVD's to my iPod so I could watch them during my lunch break at work.  This is what I used: (on Windows 7 professional)

HANDBRAKE
DVD43 (as in DVD for free)

PLEASE do not use this for copying DVDs that you do not own.  I do not know the legal stance of backing up your own DVDs on to iPod to watch but cannot imagine anybody taking anybody else to court for doing so.  Why should you buy another copy of content you already own - it might  not even be available on iTunes.  If anybody knows differently (from a UK perspective) please let me know and I will change this post.

STEP ONE
Download a nd install the two above programs.(obviously)

STEP TWO
Make sure DVD43 is running (it should run in your task bar automatically - you should see a yellow face if it is)

STEP THREE
Put your DVD in the drive and the face should turn in to a yellow devil face while it is.. ahem.. working and then should turn into a green smiley face when ready.

STEP FOUR
Now run Handbrake and select the drive with the DVD in under "SOURCE"

STEP FIVE
Select the iPod preset on the right hand side of the screen

STEP SIX
Go to title and select the one for the correct length of the video you are converting - my series 27 Doctor Who DVDs show as around 44/45 minutes each and are usually in broadcast order on the DVDs.  When you have selected the first episode click the "add to queue" button and then do the same for each subsequent episode. [If it were a film you would just choose the longest title usually]

STEP SEVEN
Now press the START button.  It may take some time but when Handbrake is finished the titles should appear on your desktop for you to drag in to iTunes and Sync

Please let me know if this is helpful.  It is the first blog post I have written.

Thanks

No comments:

Post a Comment